Template:Infobox spaceflight USA-117, also known as GPS IIA-16, GPS II-25 and GPS SVN-33, is an American navigation satellite which forms part of the Global Positioning System. It was the sixteenth of nineteen Block IIA GPS satellites to be launched.
USA-117 was launched at 00:21:00 UTC on 28 March 1996, atop a Delta II carrier rocket, flight number D234, flying in the 7925-9.5 configuration. The launch took place from Launch Complex 17B at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, and placed USA-117 into a transfer orbit. The satellite raised itself into medium Earth orbit using a Star-37XFP apogee motor.
On 27 April 1996, USA-117 was in an orbit with a perigee of 20,080 kilometres (Template:Convert/round mi), an apogee of 20,284 kilometres (Template:Convert/round mi), a period of 717.96 minutes, and 54.7 degrees of inclination to the equator. It broadcasts the PRN 03 signal, and operates in slot 2 of plane C of the GPS constellation. The satellite has a mass of 1,816 kilograms (Template:Convert/round lb). It had a design life of 7.5 years; however, it actually remained in service until August 2, 2014.
It was subsequently disposed of and currently resides in a disposal orbit approximately 500 km above the operational constellation.
- ↑ McDowell, Jonathan. "Launch Log". Jonathan's Space Page. http://planet4589.org/space/log/launchlog.txt. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- ↑ McDowell, Jonathan. "Launch List". Launch Vehicle Database. Jonathan's Space Page. http://planet4589.org/space/lvdb/list2.html. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Krebs, Gunter. "GPS-2A (Navstar-2A)". Gunter's Space Page. http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/navstar-2a.htm. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- ↑ McDowell, Jonathan. "Satellite Catalog". Jonathan's Space Page. http://planet4589.org/space/log/satcat.txt. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- ↑ Wade, Mark. "Navstar". Encyclopedia Astronautica. http://www.astronautix.com/project/navstar.htm. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- ↑ "N2YO.com". http://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=23833. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|